Friday, December 7, 2012

Pretty Little Liar

We all lie. There is not one person out there who has not done or said something at least slightly dishonest. These instances of mistruth can be good intentioned white lies to spare someone's feelings, or they can span to malicious deceit. Sometimes we lie when we think we have no other option. However, if my parents have taught me anything in the last seventeen years, it's that there is no such thing as a secret.
    Everyone finds out everything eventually. It's a humbling yet inconvenient fact of life. This lesson has been proven to me time and time again, and each time, I feel a little stupider. That moment that you know your'e caught in a lie and there's no going back, that's the moment, I've learned, you must just come clean about everything. There's no point in continuing to try to cover it up or hide what you've done. While coming clean and facing the truth will be awful and painful, and may be embarrassing, it'll only be worse if you don't confess.
   However, I do find a silver lining of comfort later, when I'm reflecting on the situation and I have that moment that I realize my regret. I realize that the regret comes whether I get caught or not, because while lying may seem right and important in the moment, it just ends up internally torturing me later. That torture, my relentless conscience, that's what reminds me that, even though I've done something bad that I can't take back, and I'll have to face the consequences, I am still a good person.
   I am a good person who will learn from my mistakes. Though I know for a fact that I will continue to make errors in judgement and do things I will regret, I just hope that my past mistakes protect me from committing the same stupidity twice and to enhance my judgement with each regretful act of idiocy.
   We all lie, we all do stupid things, and we will all have regrets. But tomorrow, you'll think about it a little less, and the next day a little less, then less, and less. Then a few months later, an enticing opportunity to be reckless or dishonest will present itself, and while it might look like the more attractive or easier option, you'll remind yourself. Everyone finds out everything eventually. And you'll ask yourself...is this worth it? For there are no secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment