Sunday, October 21, 2012

Crazy Concoctions

    I've always been a huge fan of mixing and matching. When it comes to clothes, jewelry, food, and so on, I find great amusement in putting together new and unusual combinations. This comes out particularly when I bake. I can't tell you how much fun I think it is to just throw in some new "secret ingredient" to put a twist on an old classic recipe. Not going to lie, more often, these concoctions honestly end up being disgusting. Or at least not as good as the original. My biggest example: raspberry white chocolate brownies. Sounds good, right? Nope. Not even a little bit. But that's what experimentation is all about. I'll throw some stuff together, take a taste, sometimes I'll cock my head and say "hmm...". Sometimes I'll repress a gag reflex. But the ultimate reason for all of this concocting and combining is for that rare moment when I lift the finished product to my lips, sniff, chew, swallow, and that smile creeps its way along my face. That smile of success; the accomplished smile of knowing that I have discovered something great.
   It's hard to realize new combinations that are better than the favorite regulars when it comes to baked goods because they're favorites for a reason. People have passed down the classic recipes for generations because they were the good ones. However, today I had that rare moment. Rapidly browning overly ripe bananas sat atop my kitchen counter, and I had a pantry full of pumpkin. Dilemma. What do I want? Pumpkin bread...banana bread...what to do? SMASH THEM TOGETHER!
   I spun the mixer round and round, mushing squishy bananas with creamy pumpkin. A splash of vanilla to bring out the sweet banana flavor, and dashes of Fall spices to intensify the aura of Autumn goodness that is associated with fall. Into the oven the experiment went, and as I eagerly awaited the results, my house grew more and more heavily in fragrance.
   The bread is served with dinner, and I slice it with a shaky hand, nervous that I may have just created a great-smelling monstrosity. My family lifts slices to their mouths, and I await with bated breath to hear the taste verdict. It's clear upon their faces: firstly confusion. Is it pumpkin bread? Is it banana bread? Who knows? Then, the smile: who cares? It's different, new, spicy, sweet; it's a success. Nothing can give me more satisfaction.

If I've made you hungry or just plain curious, try it for yourself...


Banana Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients:
2-3 Ripe Bananas + Slices For Garnish (optional)
2 Eggs
¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
1½ Cups Pumpkin Puree
½ Cup Brown Sugar
½ Cup Sugar
2½ Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
½ Teaspoon Nutmeg
½ Teaspoon Ginger
½ Teaspoon Allspice
1½ Teaspoons Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
¾ Cup Raisins (Optional)
½ Cup Chopped Walnuts (Optional)

Directions:

1. Squish bananas until and stir together with eggs, oil, and pumpkin.
2. Add brown sugar, sugar, flour, baking powder, soda, spices, and vanilla.
3. Fold in raisins and walnuts.
4. Split dough evenly into two lightly sprayed 9x5 bread pans.
5. Garnish with banana slices.
6. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment